Information for potential job applicants
We work in three areas: distributed systems, networks, algorithms & theory. We always consider outstanding candidates in all three areas, even though we seem to be looking in one area only. If you think that you are a good match, please apply for a PhD position!
Prior to submitting your application
Applications must include a short letter of motivation as well as a CV. At this point we do not need letters of reference. However, we would like to have a proof of your interests and talents. This proof can have various forms:
- Maybe you have done an exciting master thesis or term project? (In this case, please attach the PDF.)
- Maybe you graduated from a great school, have attended awesome courses, and achieved excellent grades? (Please attach your curriculum and grades.)
- Maybe you have a fresh idea for research? (Please write about it in your letter of motivation.)
- Maybe you studied one of our publications in detail, and know how to improve our results? Or maybe you know how to solve some open problems in our area?
- Maybe you participated in an Olympiad in Mathematics or Computer Science, or in another prestigious contest?
- Maybe there is something else? How can you impress?
How to apply online
Please use the online application form on our web page.
In the online application form, you have to fill in one page of meta data (hopefully autofill) such as name, address and birth date. Then you get to a second page where you can upload PDFs. Feel free to upload multiple PDFs or simply merge all your documents (motivation, CV, supporting documents) in one PDF. Your online application will be reviewed by multiple people, and you will for sure receive an answer a few days (or weeks) after your application.
Terms of employment for Ph.D. students at ETH Zurich
ETH Zurich is considered to be one of the top academic institutions in Europe. Sometimes our area is ranked number one. The completion target for a Ph.D. is 3 years; in our group this target is accomplished sometimes, but not always.
|First year of employment||CHF 70,000 (CHF ≈ USD ≈ EUR, more or less)|
|Second year of employment||CHF 75,000|
|Third year of employment||CHF 80,000|
Taxes and other deductions
The income tax is currently about 8% for the above mentioned starting salary. The total deduction for social security, pension plan and accident insurance is about 13%. There is no tuition at ETH Zurich.
Employees are entitled to 25 days of paid vacation per year.
Swiss residents are required to buy their own health insurance. The monthly premium for basic health insurance starts at approximately CHF 120, depending on your insurance plan.
Work visa for foreign citizens
The citizens of most EU-member countries are eligible to an immediate work visa in Switzerland. Citizens of new EU-member countries and candidates of other nationalities have to apply for a temporary work visa before entering Switzerland. ETH Zurich will take care of the due application process.
Room and board, transportation
ETH Zurich does not supply rooms or other housing opportunities on campus. Registered students are eligible for reduced prices at the campus’ cafeterias and special tariffs for public transportation.
More detailed information